Top Grain On My E10D
Looking at the top grain on my E10D, it looks more like Sitka spruce that Adirondack spruce. Is such tight grain pattern common on Adi spruce? It’s tight throughout the entire top. Kinda puzzling but I don’t know a ton about tonewood. I posted on the agf as well but I don’t post photos over there. Thoughts?

Attached Files

This is a cool link, they have cut tops for Eastman

Adirondack Red Spruce Guitar Wood — Old Standard Wood (adirondackspruce.com)

I've seen really tight red spruce on vintage Martins. I was under the impression the tighter the grain on red spruce the more likely its old growth but I'm probably completely wrong.
Pura Vida and sleigh like this post
That looks very much like the adi top on an E20D-TC I owned. While the grain may be a little tighter than average, the consistent silking shows it is perfectly quartersawn without runout. It is a very good piece of spruce and I'm guessing there is a lot of power in that guitar. Enjoy it!
Pura Vida likes this post
E10OM-TC (torrefied Adirondack) for comparison.

[Image: e10om-tc.top_.grain_.jpg]
Pura Vida likes this post
================================
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
(05-06-2022, 05:04 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: That looks very much like the adi top on an E20D-TC I owned. While the grain may be a little tighter than average, the consistent silking shows it is perfectly quartersawn without runout. It is a very good piece of spruce and I'm guessing there is a lot of power in that guitar. Enjoy it!

Thank you so much!

(05-06-2022, 06:42 AM)TTiimm Wrote: E10OM-TC (torrefied Adirondack) for comparison.

My goodness that’s gorgeous. Does look really different to my eyes though.
(05-06-2022, 07:55 AM)John-K Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 06:42 AM)TTiimm Wrote: E10OM-TC (torrefied Adirondack) for comparison.

I'm digging yours, actually. I guess the grass is always greener...
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
(05-06-2022, 01:08 PM)TTiimm Wrote:
(05-06-2022, 07:55 AM)John-K Wrote:

I'm digging yours, actually. I guess the grass is always greener...

Attached Files

FWIW, the grain on the lower bout of my E10D... which over the years has darkened and taken on more color, becoming distinctly 'streaky', which I like. 

[Image: hnha9rl.jpg]
TomC and Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(05-07-2022, 11:39 AM)sleigh Wrote: FWIW, the grain on the lower bout of my E10D... which over the years has darkened and taken on more color, becoming distinctly 'streaky', which I like. 

How many years did it take to change color like that?  I really like it and hope I'm around long enough to see my E20D look like that.
Eastman E6OM-TC LTD Alpine Spruce
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

My E10D came through Pomona in 2018. Don't know when it was actually built, but I bought it in July of 2019 as old 'new' stock that hadn't sold. Here's the pic from the store's website: 

[Image: Rxn4VZ1.jpg]

As you can see, it already had a 'stripey' appearance at that point. I wondered if perhaps it had been in sunlight from the shop window much of that time since it almost looked naturally torrified. I've had it since July 2019, and the top has continued to darken and the top to open up sonically. It's one sweet-sounding instrument, in my opinion. It's the guitar I use most often.
SneakyDeaky and Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  E8OM-TC Strange Rosewood Grain NepTune 6 1,706 12-23-2022, 06:09 AM
Last Post: mike.s0305