"That sounds like my Collings!"
Those were my son-in-law's first words when hearing myE10SS for the first time.

Anyone remember the days of the Camaro SS? How about E10 Super Sport?

The quality and richness of sound, clear articulation of each string, with overall deep resonance continues to impress. regardless of price.
Winfielder, Zissou Intern, sleigh, DonO, Guzzi Fan, Ritchie, Meathead, Pura Vida like this post
2021 Eastman E10SS (Mahogany/Adirondack spruce)
2023 Eastman AC522CE-GB (Mahogany/European Spruce) 
Hardycreek1, what strings are you running? I’ve been using the GHS Vintage Bronze on my E10ss and it sounds great as well. I think several Eastmans sound like Collings.
Don
sleigh likes this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

I'm using Martin Monel Retro bluegrass 12s right now. My son-in-law also asked, "Are those Martin strings?" He has a very good ear.
(12-17-2022, 08:44 AM)hardycreek1 Wrote: I'm using Martin Monel Retro bluegrass 12s right now. My son-in-law also asked, "Are those Martin strings?" He has a very good ear.

Awesome! I thought the Monel TR Bluegrass only came in 13’s? I have a couple packs of D’Addario Nickle Bronze 12’s I’m gonna try next string change.
Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Not sure I can do anything other than Monel retros. Such a deep resonant sound.
DonO likes this post
2021 Eastman E10SS (Mahogany/Adirondack spruce)
2023 Eastman AC522CE-GB (Mahogany/European Spruce) 
Hmm... I may have to try the Monel Retros...
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Steve, I'd be curious to get your feedback.  People either love them or not.  And many say that you have to leave them on for a while to break in.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
PV and all: My early response to Monel Retros. PV said "People either love them or not..." So far I like 'em. I put a set of Martin Monel Retro Lights on my E10D a few days ago. They sound very nice — well-balanced string to string and I'm impressed with their tone on the E10D. They don't color the fundamental sound of hog back and sides, though I don't know that they sound better than the D'Add XS strings I had on there. I also don't know that they'll last as long. The XS strings still sounded great after 16 weeks on the guitar... We'll see!
Pura Vida and penname like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Chiming in - I'm another fan of the Martin monel retros... I have them on my Eastman E6 OM and will be planning to use them from here on out (instead of elixirs).  I just like the richness of the tone with the Monels (to my ear).
sleigh likes this post
I have another set of Monels and will likely put them on my E6D-TC as well; I think the Monels complement the hog back and sides. Not sure they'd do as well with EIR, though. Tim, as you using Lights or Mediums? I have the E6D tuned down a step in D-standard, which might make the Lights a bit 'loose' and not drive the top enough.
Best, Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin E20OM-TC Sounds Too Good billymo 6 2,825 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida