T386 pickup change ?
I just joined last-night . Already have a question , my new t386 is beautiful . Acoustically it sounds fine , plugged in it's kinda lifeless. I played with the amp , tried my other amp . Not saying it's bad but not loving it . I'm thinking of changing to Seymour Duncan 59 bridge and phat cat neck . I already have the 59 here , what do you think ? Appreciate any input
Since you already have the 59, why not?

Depending on what sound you're ultimately looking for, if the 59 doesn't exactly hit the mark simple mods to the 59 are add a cover (cover pole spacings unique to SD's) and change the A5 magnet to an A2. 

I did just that with the too bright SD "Jazz" and it tamed it nicely.
Regards,

Gary
Thank you , sounds like good advice . I was thinking about the jazz and was afraid it would be to bright . I just picked up a phat cat . Thinking a .473cap for it and 59 with the 22 . I really get obsessed with the sound of my guitars . I love every aspect of the instrument.
I think you'd like the Phat cat in the bridge and 59 in the neck if what you are thinking did not work for you as planned. 

The "Jazz" I modded is in the neck position with a Phat cat in the bridge on my Epi Sheraton.
Regards,

Gary
Interesting , I would never think of that combination. If I don't get what I'm hoping for I will flip them your way and see . Thanks
Pickup advice over the Internet, not really to useful I think. You could just watch some quality YouTube vids of the Eastman thinlines with their different pickups...But, I bet you already have done that.

I will say I really like the warm tone I can get out of my T486B with the Phat Cats.

Good luck
Thank you , hopefully have time today to install. I usually lean to the 59's . I installed Seth lover's in my carvin Ct4 , truthfully liked the 59's better . I have a carvin 550 that I put phat cats in and love it . Thinking the phat cat 59 combo might be awesome , we will see .
I have found the 59 takes on the guitar's personality very well . I have them in other guitars and each sounds unique to the guitar to me
(08-09-2019, 09:51 AM)Rad Wrote: Pickup advice over the Internet, not really to useful I think. You could just watch some quality YouTube vids of the Eastman thinlines with their different pickups...But, I bet you already have done that.

I will say I really like the warm tone I can get out of my T486B with the Phat Cats.

Good luck

And what part of a youtube vid is NOT internet advice? :-)

The OP has a specific set of pups, and a number of options to deploy in his git, I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll find the combination as well defined as his. Now if he had no pups at all, sure, a vid "may" help, but what amp would they be using? Pedals? 

In my experience most git demos have overdrive/distortion/reverb/chorus added into the mix making them less than worthless, little to no info played in a style that the OP is unlikely to be interested in and a waste of time.
Bert likes this post
Regards,

Gary
Pickups are changed , happy and unhappy . The PC in the neck I like but 59 I'm not liking . Gary if I switch to alnico 2 how will that affect output? The balance is good now , not sure if output drops significantly it will work .... I might have to flip like you suggested

I was happy to see no cnc machine yet [Image: 6XVPUBB.jpg](hopefully never ) still routing with a hand router.
The A2 and adding a cover will likely give a bit less output but raising the pup a bit will compensate for it.
Regards,

Gary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pickup advice - T386 JohnnyH 3 1,614 04-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T386 Pickup Adjustments and Recommendations Jozie 20 8,982 04-02-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Jozie
  T64 - did Eastman change the position of the bridge pickup? RomanS 5 2,415 10-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Garcon