Serial Numbers
UPDATE: January 2023

Eastman has finally helped solve their mysterious s/n logic.

Serial Numbers>Can you provide a manufactured date based on my serial number? Eastman has had multiple serial number variations over the years. Here is a brief overview of our serial number systems. If your serial number does not fall under the criteria listed, please Contact Us.
  • 2020 – Current
    • Letter designates product category, and first 2 digits are the year
  • 2016 – 2019
    • 1st and 3rd number are the year. 2nd number is the month(s)
      • 1 = January/February
      • 2 = March/April
      • 3 = May/June
      • 4 = July/August
      • 5 = September/October
      • 6 = November/December
    • Example: 15712345
      • September/October of 2017
  • 2014 – 2016
    • 1st and 4th digit are the year. 2nd and 3rd number designate the month.

Original post: 3/4/2018

Someone recently shared a link to a 2011 UBGF post, which recapped some of the SN#s up to that point.  But I can't find any direct logic for recent SN#s.

For example, I just checked my Eastman acoustic guitars - listed in the order purchased, year matches the certificate date:
E40D (2016) is 1465xxxx
E40OM (2017) is 1375xxxx
ACTG1 (2017) is 1655xxxx
E20OMSB (2017) is 1365xxxx
E20D (2017) is 1375xxxx
E40D (2017) is 1375xxxx

With the exception of the travel guitar, all of the SN begin with 13 or 14.  But of those, my oldest guitar has the highest SN (1465xxxx).  I'll edit this post later with exact certificate dates.  The third digit *almost* ties to the year --- if I assume the E20OM was assigned in 2016, but not given a certificate until April 2017 (and again, the travel guitar outlier).

If others want to post their model, SN#, and certificate date here... then maybe we can figure out a pattern.  In the meantime, maybe I'll email Eastman for more insight.  I'll find that UBGF post and copy the contents here for easy reference.

Also, I posted this in the Acoustic section b/c I don't own any Eastman electric guitars (yet!) to confirm if the SN batches are the same.  We can move this to General Chatter, if we want to tackle electric SNs here, as well.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Thanks Brian... I'm good with this thread staying in this subforum. This would be a great resource if we can figure out a dating method to the Serial Numbers.

I'll post my SN#'s later today to add to the research. Perhaps Mark or Dan from Eastman might be able to add some insight Let us know Brian if you decide to send them a note.
Hahahaha, certainly not just someone! Apologies... blame it on my selective memory.

Here's the UBGF link:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theunoff...eN7PL7n9hE

And here is the part that's relevant to guitar SN#s (posted 10/24/2011):

I found this on the FAQ at the Eastman website.
Up until 2011 serial numbers were assigned when the instrument left our
shop. Starting in 2011 they are assigned upon factory completion. El
Rey guitars are not included in the list.

Guitar Serial Numbers
2007 serial numbers 1350-2700
2008 serial numbers 2701-4150
2009 serial numbers 4151-5600
2010 serial numbers 5601-8150
2011 serial numbers 8151 and above
Since it's so easy to contact Eastman about it, I've never even tried to decode their labrinthine serial number system. 

Here's a recent exchange; 

Q: Can you please tell me what year this guitar was built? Its serial # is 10455860.
A: This guitar went through our shop in October of 2015. 

Not sure what "went through our shop" means, though I'll bet some of you do.
I'm out of date and may be out of step. Few years ago Mark Herring told me that after they recv a shipment from factory, the models that are needed to fill immediate orders 'go through the shop first'. Setup, assign ser# (label), package and ship. fwiw
Yes, the "shop" means their operations facility in Pomona, CA. That's where they inspect the guitars, string them up, and ship them out. It's also where all the custom shop work is being done.
(03-04-2018, 12:44 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Yes, the "shop" means their operations facility in Pomona, CA.  That's where they inspect the guitars, string them up, and ship them out.  It's also where all the custom shop work is being done.

That being the case, I wonder what the lag time is between shipping from Beijing and then from Pomona. 

In other words, when was a guitar built that passed through the shop 10/15?
Assuming shipment via ocean container, we'd be talking anywhere from a week to a month between locations.
PV, that's my understanding also, Eastman's process in maybe unique with origins in Beijing

Everybody does it a little different. CFM lasers the model#/ser# on the neck block as the 1st step in the building process. Some finished guitars can sit in their warehouse for a looong time before Martin recvs an order for that model. Not uncommon the find a brand new Martin with a ser# from a yr or more ago. Taylor assigns the dated ser# the day it finishes mfg.

and, so on
(03-04-2018, 09:38 AM)Meathead Wrote: Thanks Brian... I'm good with this thread staying in this subforum. This would be a great resource if we can figure out a dating method to the Serial Numbers.

I'll post my SN#'s later today to add to the research. Perhaps Mark or Dan from Eastman might be able to add some insight Let us know Brian if you decide to send them a note.

for what it's worth:  my E10 00 ss# is 140 636 530.   I'm the 2nd owner; first said he bought it new in about 2012.