Recording King vs Eastman
How would you compare RK tone vs Eastman tone ?

I was planning for an E8OM-TC (1600 eur) but I saw that RK has new high end model, especially the 000 guitar RO-342 (1000 eur) has nice specs:
AAA adi top
EIR back side
1 piece mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard
1-3/4 width neck
Interesting V shape neck

https://youtu.be/-SYzseiRhW0
noah likes this post
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman E20D-TC
I've played a few RKs in stores, and haven't been impressed by feel or tone. At least part of that is due to the V neck - I absolutely hate V necks. They seemed decent, but didn't feel as nicely put together as an Eastman.
RK are good little guitars, and their Series 11 all solid are tough to beat for the price. But to me, Eastman has a more refined and musical tone.

RKs are solid guitars, but not in the same league as Eastman in all aspects. At least IMO.
noah, Blackmore Fan, Aahzz, DukeS like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
(04-13-2023, 06:00 AM)SasquatchLife Wrote: RK are good little guitars, and their Series 11 all solid are tough to beat for the price. But to me, Eastman has a more refined and musical tone.

RKs are solid guitars, but not in the same league as Eastman in all aspects. At least IMO.

I've owned several RK guitars over many years and I have to agree with the statement that Eastman is a cut above.
SasquatchLife and Aahzz like this post
I've got one of each. A RK RP-M9M which is 12 fret O all solid in Spruce/Mahogany, which I think is the predecessor of the current RPS-11 and a Eastman E10-00, 12 fret 00 in spruce/mahogany. 

Before playing a note on either, if you look at the RK there are a few rough spots in the finish, and inside the soundhole where some of the woodwork is a little untidy.  The Eastman on the other hand is very tidy inside the soundhole, and the fit and finish is excellent. 

The RK is a fun guitar to play, it sounds a bit boxy but works well for playing fingerstyle blues and slide.  The Eastman is a far superior sounding guitar and better built instrument, but it's a number of times more expensive.

I think both guitars have their applications, but the Eastman is the better instrument without a moment's hesitation.
noah likes this post
Here's a video I just found. RK vs Eastman     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6QVws6vX8
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
Around 5 years ago I owned a Recording King parlor model RP1-326 an Eric Schoenberg designed single 0 that was almost identical to Eastman's E10P except for scale length and a V shaped neck. Those Schoenberg guitars were probably the best quality that Recording King has built. Also for awhile I entertained the idea of acquiring another Recording King the all solid wood all mahogany ROS-616. Didn't work out and I ended up with my first 15 series Martin a 000-15M. 

At least with these two models mentioned above, the quality & tone was equal with Eastman. But I've seen many RK models that looked cheap and lacked tone. Now the Tonewood Reserve Elite RO-342 a 000, and the RP-342 a single 0, looks like RK could be back with Eastman quality models. The single 0 model looks like a E40 00 and a Blueridge BR371. If the top of the line RK's are quality built guitars then they could be quite attractive alternative since they are priced hundreds less than Eastman.
DukeS and noah like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
(04-13-2023, 02:48 PM)StrayMan Wrote: Here's a video I just found. RK vs Eastman     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6QVws6vX8

to my ear the eastman sounds notably richer, fuller, louder.

a very casual comparison, though. how much is accounted for by the difference bewteen a dread and an om?  (equally new strings etc..?

--
this guy, jp cormier, likes RK p's a lot. (decent player too!)  

here's a *blind* test:  a martin D-28 vs RK RD-328 (brand new elixirs on both)

the old "4 x more expensve for ..how much more tonal quality?"

the comparison starts at around the 21 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJV_z7HTkKU
eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording  king, series 11-000
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22
i recently came across an RK RO-328, store demo with a tiny ding, that was just too good to pass up. All solid, adirondack and rosewood,  $ 650.00 CAD / $490.00 USD (no case or bag).

the nut's actually a little wider than 1 3/4"  and the string spacing there is wider than 1.5 ", a bonus for me. the v neck's took a little, but not much, getting used to.

was able to A/B it beside a martin 00-28 EC, and it fared surprisingly -- almost stunningly -- well, near on par in terms of feel and playability, though the martin's a chunky C neck not V,  and pretty darn close tone-wise.

for the dread-version blind comparison, see the cormier video in my previous post.

a little sloppy glue in the interior of this one, unlike the series 11 i got last year, but overall, it's been a main player these past few months (my only rosewood and/or only addy).

and the thick poly? finish is less than optimal.  

in term of market positioning and price, eastman's reputation (and new pricing) arguably move it well out of the "up-and-comer" category  --though still not priced anywhere near boucher or collings or santa cruzes or upper-end taylors, or martins or breedloves or furchs.

The mid and upper end all-solid RK's are emerging, imo, as a quality off-shore bargain brand trying to take a run at some the bigger players.  (A new  ro-328's goes for about half of what  an E20-OM cost. i did spend some time with the E20, and liked it lots!  tonally a little more mature? richer than the RK -- though string gauge might have been a factor in that off-site comparison. 

some pics:

pics:
zoidberg likes this post

Attached Files

eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22
(04-13-2023, 06:00 AM)SasquatchLife Wrote: RK are good little guitars, and their Series 11 all solid are tough to beat for the price. But to me, Eastman has a more refined and musical tone.

----
"RKs are solid guitars, but not in the same league as Eastman in all aspects. At least IMO."

i'd say the same about Alvarez...
AlanSam, DukeS, SasquatchLife like this post
eastman ar403ce
eastman ac222ce-ov
taylor 322 12 fret
recording king ro-328
godin exit 22

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman E40om vs Recording King RO-327 jpricewood 11 6,445 12-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Piedaddy