Nickel strings
I posted this on a different thread as follow up to my experience with Martin MA540FX (Martin Tommy's Choice PB Lights). Then I realized there was more to the story, so I thought I would start a thread on nickel strings. Previously I didn't like nickel strings. Now it seems that they may work depending on the guitar and model. I would welcome thoughts by others. Thanks. 

One more follow-up. I took the Tommy strings off of my Martin OM-18V. Again the only reason is that I thought the guitar had more to offer. I put on a set of Martin Retro 12-54. They are made from Monel steel - nickel/copper alloy. Over the last year or so I have been trying more nickel/nickel alloy strings. Originally I did not like them because to me they sounded a little zingy and metallic at first. I never had the patience to leave them on past a few days. Now I just throw a Tone Traveler on for a couple of days and it takes the zing right out of them. IMHO - the monels are a more suitable string for this guitar. They have better volume, more balanced and not as strong in the over-tones. Eventually I will get around to trying a set of DR Rares on this guitar, but for now the Retros are more than acceptable.

As a side note - I am trying a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel mediums on an Atkin 000-37 (torrefied Sitka/Rosewood). The Atkin has the aged finish - very finely checked. It has an almost broken in tone to it. The Pure Nickels are perfect for this guitar. The mediums give up very good bass with a nice sparkle to the trebles. The overtones aren't over powering. It just suits that old broken in tone. I have also used D'Addario's Nickel Bronze 12-53 on my Eastman E20SSv.(It's kind of for sale if anyone is interested). The NBs really brought out some good old almost Gibsonish tone on this guitar. That is three different guitars with nickel alloy strings that I previously never liked. Maybe my preferences are changing. Or my hearing.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(04-30-2024, 01:08 PM)TomC Wrote: I posted this on a different thread as follow up to my experience with Martin MA540FX (Martin Tommy's Choice PB Lights). Then I realized there was more to the story, so I thought I would start a thread on nickel strings. Previously I didn't like nickel strings. Now it seems that they may work depending on the guitar and model. I would welcome thoughts by others. Thanks. 

One more follow-up. I took the Tommy strings off of my Martin OM-18V. Again the only reason is that I thought the guitar had more to offer. I put on a set of Martin Retro 12-54. They are made from Monel steel - nickel/copper alloy. Over the last year or so I have been trying more nickel/nickel alloy strings. Originally I did not like them because to me they sounded a little zingy and metallic at first. I never had the patience to leave them on past a few days. Now I just throw a Tone Traveler on for a couple of days and it takes the zing right out of them. IMHO - the monels are a more suitable string for this guitar. They have better volume, more balanced and not as strong in the over-tones. Eventually I will get around to trying a set of DR Rares on this guitar, but for now the Retros are more than acceptable.

As a side note - I am trying a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel mediums on an Atkin 000-37 (torrefied Sitka/Rosewood). The Atkin has the aged finish - very finely checked. It has an almost broken in tone to it. The Pure Nickels are perfect for this guitar. The mediums give up very good bass with a nice sparkle to the trebles. The overtones aren't over powering. It just suits that old broken in tone. I have also used D'Addario's Nickel Bronze 12-53 on my Eastman E20SSv.(It's kind of for sale if anyone is interested). The NBs really brought out some good old almost Gibsonish tone on this guitar. That is three different guitars with nickel alloy strings that I previously never liked. Maybe my preferences are changing. Or my hearing.
Hey Tom, hope all is well. I’m using the D’addario NB 12-56 on my Gibson J45 and the Martin Luxe Nickel Cobalt 13-56 on my Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 and really like them. They both produce good low end along with nice trebles. The Luxe strings have a strong attack with good balance. I think I could put sewing thread on the 37 Authentic and it would sound amazing. Lol
It did take me a couple rounds of being more patient with the D’addario NB strings and let them settle in a few days. Enjoy that Adkin 000-37 my friend.

Don
TomC likes this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45